How a Traditional router works?
The traditional router receives data from your ISP through a modem that lets you use the internet by connecting your devices with the World Wide Web (WWW).
You can connect multiple devices at the same time with a router and depending on the model, those routers can cover about 500 square feet to 3000 square feet.
What is a Mesh WiFi?
Mesh network is a multi-layer wireless internet solution that serves you with no data loss or connection issues.
It is such a modern technology of replacing traditional single router systems that can provide better signal throughout your entire home for better internet connectivity.
The amazing way mesh network works:
A mesh network is a system that works by connecting with more than one node. Each node wirelessly connects with another to extend the total wifi signal to eliminate the dead zone completely in your home.
Each node connects to another in a non-linear pattern and can talk to each other. That means if one gets disconnected another is there to keep the system on and therefore providing you best internet possible.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of using a Mesh WiFi network system?
Mesh network is truly a great invention of providing wifi signal in a huge place without any kind of data loss or speed issue.
As we explained how the entire system works now let’s talk about the advantages you will get after getting one for yourself.
- As the nodes are connected, you will stay connected in the same network while you move from one room to another and one floor to another without having to worry about the speed.
- You get access to a dedicated app to control your entire mesh network to gain more control and more convenience.
- You can add as many nodes as you want to spread the networks across your home and you can keep off one or two nodes and keep other online.
- The setup process is easy as water, you just turn them on and configure them through instructions provided inside the package to complete the process.
- With a great technically improved device, there is also a great price to pay for and it may feel confusing for some new users that do not understand the system quite well.
- You may face a slower internet speed if you are not close to your hub. That means if you place your hub in the dining room then you will feel the slower speed in your bedroom with no hub.
- Each node will require a power source to operate all day to keep the network alive and this way your power consumption will go up and that means more energy costs will be added to your bill.
Traditional router vs Mesh: Which one to choose
We have already explained how these two technology works and now let’s talk about which one to choose between them.
The reason you still need a traditional Router:
If you are living in a small area or in 1 room apartment and want really high-speed internet then it’s better to go with the traditional router than a mesh router.
Traditional routers are hassle-free to install and cost less than a mesh router and provides the best internet service for gamers and streamers.
The extra benefit you will get from Mesh Router:
Mesh routers are used in large places and apartments with more than one floor. With each mesh router, you get a node and the nodes work like a range extender and cover your entire home.
You will stay connected to the same network in your entire home no matter how big your home is and even without losing speed.
Now it’s your decisions to consider your requirements and choose one between them as both of them are perfect for different types of users.